We invite you to apply to the Guzman Mendoza/Paredez Graduate Fellow Residency created to offer a mini residency to a fellow working on a completed or nearly completed manuscript. The residency is open to all graduate fellows and fellows who have attended at least two retreats, even if they did not formally graduate. The fellowship takes place during the CantoMundo retreat June 18-21, 2020 at The University of Arizona Poetry Center in Tucson. The fellowship requires you to attend opening and closing circle and includes a $500.00 stipend to help cover flight and/or expenses, private writing space and lodging in the famed poet’s cottage, a one-on-one manuscript consultation with Carmen Gimenez Smith, an informational meeting with a staff member of the University of Arizona Press who will answer editorial questions about the publication process, access to the archives and special collections at The Poetry Center, and time with fellows and faculty during the CantoMundo 2020 retreat in Tucson, Arizona.
The readers for this year’s award are Carolina Ebeid, Ángel García, and Juan Luis Guzmán. The final judge will be Aracelis Girmay.
DEADLINE EXTENDED to January 31, 2020, AT MIDNIGHT ARIZONA TIME!
Directions for Applications
- Must be graduate fellow, or have attended at least two CantoMundo retreats
- Must have a manuscript that is complete or near completion
- Must be able to attend the full retreat
Submit the following in a PDF format:
1. Cover letter
- Contact information, including name, address, phone number, email
- Describe your relationship to CantoMundo and how you have engaged in or supported the organization’s vision.
- Tell us about your manuscript and how you foresee benefiting from this fellowship.
2. Manuscript Submission
10-15 page excerpt from a completed or close to completed manuscript.
3. Project Description
1 page description of the book, its level of completion, and about how the residency will help you complete your manuscript.
PLEASE ADHERE TO FORMATTING GUIDELINES. The selected candidate will be notified no later than March 18, 2020 (via phone or email).
DEADLINE IS January 23, 2020 AT MIDNIGHT ARIZONA TIME!